Monday, April 11, 2016

Politics of Being Woman



“Worse than receiving actual harassment is the near-constant feeling of anticipation or expectation of harassment. It’s this feeling of being on guard at all times. This culture of fear has been created for me, and it makes me feel unsafe in my surroundings even when I’m not actively being harassed or bothered. I notice that I avoid eye contact with men when I am in public. I walk past groups of men with my eyes glued to the ground, hoping that if I don’t look up they won’t speak to me. I turn the volume up on my headphones, hoping to drown out any stray comments or whistles that may come my way. I’m alert and always aware of the person that’s approaching me or sitting next to me. I would consider this behavior paranoid, except that it’s continually proven to me that I have reason to be worried about being harassed.”[1]
- Britni de la Cretaz


These words by Britni de la Cretaz, when read struck a chord, as I am sure it has with many other women. We have all felt the emotions described above and at some point or continuously have thoughts of “please don’t look at me”, “Am I promoting harassment with my clothing?” or even “maybe I only look good if I am “hit on/harassed” by men. My service has provided me with more awareness to the over-sexualization and misogynistic tendencies men have toward women, especially women of color abroad. Firstly let me describe the previously mentioned terms:
Sexualize - make sexual; attribute sex or a sex role to
Misogynythe hatred or dislike of women or girls. Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, hostility, male supremacist ideas, belittling of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women.
Harassment - unwelcome and inappropriate verbal or physical conduct, or coercive behavior, where the behavior is known or reasonably ought. to be known to be unwanted or welcome
These terms, especially lately, have been used to describe the position women hold in the minds of some men and the actions of said men. As a female I have been subjected to such catcalls, harassment and unwanted touching. During my service I have experienced moments where the shape of my body and having curves has made me feel embarrassed or uncomfortable due to comments by a range of men from elders down to thirteen and fourteen year old boys. They have made crude and inappropriate comments that have made me feel as if I was promoting promiscuity or dressing in a way that was socially deemed inappropriate (despite being clothed “appropriately” when these situations occurred). I am also aware that because of the globalization of hip-hop culture and cultural stereotypes of black and American women, I receive that much more interest as something “exotic and foreign”. Add on to that how women are portrayed in music videos and talked about in songs you have a setup for promoting women only being sexual beings for a man’s pleasure. I have heard stories from fellow female volunteers who have said they were outright propositioned for sex. Why this behavior is considered acceptable among men and boys boggles me. Why do we allow the future generation of men to regard women as sexual beings and shame/comment on their appearances when women express their sexuality in the same breath. I recently read an article which stated that over 30% of Kosovar women feel it is acceptable for men to verbally harass them, that it is NORMAL. A women’s desirability should not be placed on her sexuality, or lack thereof. The harassment I have encountered has made me more of a feminist and allowed me to realize that there is still so much that needs change in societies across the globe.

I know recently there have been big debates about comments and actions made by celebrities such as Kim Kardashian, Amber Rose and Ayesha Curry (to name a few) about what are acceptable actions and fashion for being a “respectable” woman. We all have our preferences, rather it be more or less modest on dressing and actions. My question is why, even as fellow women, do we demean each other for our actions. We are quick to call each other a hoe, prude slut without understanding we have the ability as well as the right to be multi-faceted, sexually aware beings. Say for instance, if I decide to dress conservatively during my 9-5 and then wear clothes which accentuate my womanly features; why am I demonized for loving, exploring and embracing all facets of myself? I won’t sit here and lie and say I haven’t been that person at some point who has questioned if not commented on another women’s wardrobe choice. However, I have come to the realization, no matter what a woman does or is, she shouldn’t be criticized, demonized and /or diminished to a single facet of herself which society deems it is acceptable for her to be. Every woman has a variety of selves and her most denied, yet desired being is her sexual self. Women should be encouraged and supported by each other to comfortably express all their “selves” and embrace how each creates the whole stunning, impressive, magical, mold shattering masterpiece each women is. 

     In connection with me service thus far, and my perception of Kosovar village society, women are expected to be show pieces. Only shown off with and for men, yet otherwise virtually unseen. I perceive it as the silencing of women’s experiences and struggles, literally and figuratively. It is interesting how women have tried to react against such circumstances. For example, I know a woman who has faced some “backlash” if you would call it for being a “modern woman” – working, married and successful. Some feel she is not doing her wifely duties because she is out working and doing something she loves. She assists with housework, serving and cooking when possible but most is done by her mother-in-law as it is tradition for new wives to move into her husband’s house, who usually still lives with his parents. Her wifely duties have also been commented on in terms of what it takes to keep her husband satisfied and how she is perceived to have “a lot of work to do” because he is a bigger man. Additionally, remarks were made referring to her wardrobe because as she is now married she should dress more “elegantly” instead of wearing what she does. Add on to that the constant reference to a woman’s weight and size, which I and countless other women (including the women formerly mentioned), have had referred to (you’re getting /are fat is a constant comment heard around Kosovo even if the woman is on the smaller size). Women are not good enough, pretty enough or small enough it seems. I have mentioned to a friend of mine how I am surprised more Albanian women don’t have eating/self-esteem disorders because of all the politics involving their physical appearances in this society. 

I just want to instill in my girls, that they are enough. No matter what society, family or even friends dictate, being themselves is enough. Embracing differences instead of creating flaws, loving every size and creating a culture of female acceptance and importance is what is needed. We need to de-stigmatize a woman who is completely self-aware and embrace that woman and all she offers. Women and men need to stand up and stand together against misogyny and promoting self-hate of women and learn to encourage love and support each other for who and what they are, what how they express their womanly experience.

“Every part of me is a vision of a portrait… of Mona Lisa, Every part of me is beautiful, And I finally see I'm a work of art, A masterpiece, And now I see the pretty colors on my canvas, I'm a work of art, a Mona Lisa, I'll share my picture with the world, Not afraid to let it show anymore”
Masterpiece – Jazmine Sullivan

- Ashley

Below are some links to short articles involving rape and sexual harassment culture in Kosovo


No comments:

Post a Comment