Thursday, June 11, 2015

Host Family Fun

     On Wednesday I got my First Host family! They live in a small village near the Serbian border and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT so far. So for an FYI - A host family is a local family that agrees to house, feed and provide language assistance for a volunteer that has been checked out by Peace Corps. So about my village first, then I will talk on my family, schedule so far and what meeting them was like.

     I love in an EXTREMELY beautiful village with people who are so kind and truly interested in getting to know me. My host sister and I went on a walk with our cousins, brother and Uncle and when we were walking up the hill I glanced back to a view that couldn't even be painted or photographed to express its true beauty. All around you just see rolling hills, mountains and lush green grass with the tops of Mosques and orange roof tops gleaming in the suns light. No neighboring village is too big, nor too small and they fit perfectly into a little puzzle of green space and village placement. At night it is perfectly still with only the soft breeze and the fresh smell of meadows and cow (which I surprisingly enjoyed) blowing through my window. I think whenever I do time abroad I like to live in the smaller more quaint towns and villages compared to the city life I like in the states.

     Familje! (Family) My family consists of three children, and cows hahaha. I have two host brothers, one of whom studies in Prishtina, and a host sister who also studies in Prishtina and wants to get a degree in English and Literature. We have been talking non-stop since we met at the Host family pick-up. My host mama is a GREAT cook, and LOVES to feed you... If I eat everything they are always giving me I will be over 230 lbs. by time I get back to the states hahaha. I keep trying to tell her its very good (Shumë Mirë) and I guess in Kosovar culture when someone says its very good you give them even more of a heaping plate! I just laugh and rub my tummy saying I am full and she then understands I reply Faleminderit (Thank You), smile, put my dishes away and proceed with my next activity. My family is very accepting of me and that is such a stress reliever.  It was one of my biggest concerns but when I spoke to my host sister she informed me that she PICKED ME! She informed the Peace Corps staff she wanted to have me and pleaded to make sure we were together for PST! I was so honored and humbled that she searched Facebook and even asked a volunteer about me and decided to pick me to share her life, village, culture and family with, and for that I am forever indebted and just in awe about. I cant wait to see how we grow as a PC Family Unit and what new adventures I will have with them.

So far my Peace Corps experience has been hectic to the point where by three o'clock some serious Turkish coffee and/or espresso/macchiato is needed just to help you function for another three hours! lol. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I have been learning a lot, to the point where
I don't even remember what I learned hahahaha! Tomorrow we are going to visit ruins and I can not wait to experience these things. There is so much planned and so much to do, but I am looking forward to every challenge and reward and to see my progress in 3 months.

Oh and today was my HOst Mama and Baba's anniversary! They are so cute together :) They talked to me about marriage and asked how many children I want to have, I said no more than two, but when asked wen I would get married they tried to get me to change my mind offering 3 years insead of my suggested 10 year range. Apparently they may know something I don't... Who knows (Considering my host cousin tried to find me a husband/suitor last night after she found out I was single hahaha.

Thus far I am equally in love with the people, country and culture of Kosova, stay tuned to see what's next and any fun deets :)

Natën e Mirë ! (Goodnight!)
 My host sister
 
Host parents

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I love the blog. Leave it to you to bring me into the social media world. The host family mirrors your own family; full of love, generosity and compassion. Sounds like a perfect match! To mama and baba, Happy Anniversary and thank you for opening your hearts and home to our Ashley.

    ReplyDelete