Friday, March 18, 2016

Cka ka te re?

 
C'ka ka te ri, is a phrase asking what's new with you? Such a phrase here in Kosovo is typically met with hitch/asgje which means nothing. Well, I am proud to say something HAS been up, and that something is In-Service language training i.e. Albanian.... (cue the dun dun duns) Language IST is a way for Peace Corps to help refresh your Albanian language, as well as try to fine tune and provide new information to assist with grant terminology. So I received an e-mail informing me of the sessions and information needed but was taken aback when reading the disclaimer that sessions will be only in Albanian. Now I started to freak out! I am far from the most confident Albanian speaker, and typically sound like a child when speaking (think grammatical errors and the lovely uh, uh, uhs) so this was not comforting to me. As I arrived in Peja with about 9 other cohorts (we had trainings in different areas around the country to focus on smaller groups - thanks PC for that consideration) I figured I would just take the bull by the horn and take my language instruction as is and if its a fluke, so be it - Hey I gave it a try. To my surprise, lessons were understood, I got the gist of information provided and even caught on to some jokes - take THAT Albanian. Now let's not get hasty, there were moments filled with "Watchu say Willis?" and the lovely "brain check out" but they were far between and I exceeded my original expectations. Looking back on the training I had to give myself a break. Albanian is a difficult language, but I am conquering it, enjoying the process and constantly trying .... (OK usually trying - its tiring to think and talk constantly in this language)! Most credit has to go to my tutor, who has helped me learn my language learning style, laughed with me through my blunders but most importantly made me feel like it is possible - and gaining a friend in the process hasn't hurt. So with that aside, training was cool, and now I only have two weeks until Spring Break!

Also, in "New News", we had teacher's day last week and it was an interesting thing to see my students put on performances and display their various talents. After the performances, my director gave a short speech and distributed flowers, and I even got one! It was so sweet I thought I was misunderstanding when I heard my name called and the kids broke into thunderous applause (literally) and I was really honored they gave me flowers. It was a sweet gesture!

Lastly, I guess other new news is it is OFFICIALLY summer vacation planning time! Awesome because my lineup is pretty much finished, and it is panning out to be a fun, busy and passport stamp filled summer! This isn't even including the trainings I hope to participate in with the new group of volunteers who will be here in less than 3 short months! I can't believe our 1 year in country anniversary mark is approaching! It goes to show you, time flies when you're having fun, or at least teaching haha! Enjoy your weekend and I would love feedback on topics readers would like to hear about!

Tung!
~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment